How long can a cat go without water
How long can a cat go without water
You want to go on vacation for a few days, and you want to know how long your cat can live without water.
Hydration of your cat is very important for his health. A lack of water can cause irreversible health problems.
But don't panic, we are passionate about this subject and know exactly how to help you.
In this article, you will discover :
- How much water does a cat need to live?
- How long can cats go without drinking water?
- What are the causes of dehydration in your cat?
- How to see that your cat is dehydrated
Your cat's water needs will no longer hold any secrets for you. You will know exactly how to avoid dehydration in your cat.
Let's find out together now.
The importance of water for your cat
A kitten is 84% water compared to 60% for an adult cat. Water is essential for the proper functioning of almost all vital functions. A cat can become dehydrated in a few hours if it does not have fresh water at its disposal. Water is so essential that it is considered a must.
How much water does a cat need to live?
Usually, it is advisable for the cat owner to leave a bowl of water at his disposal. This way, he will drink as soon as he is thirsty. However, it is difficult to say exactly how much water your cat needs. A cat's water consumption depends on a number of factors:
- The age of your cat and therefore its size: smaller cats need less water than larger or older cats.
- The type of food you feed your cat (see the article: How often should you feed a cat? ): if you mainly feed your cat dry food (kibble), it will need more water. On the other hand, if you give your cat wet or canned food, he will need less water.
- Your cat's activity level: If your pet is very active and playful, he will need to hydrate more regularly. In the opposite case, if your kitten is a sleeper, his need for water will be less.
- Your cat urinates regularly.
In addition, the condition of your cat's fur can be a very good indicator of your cat's health. If your pet receives enough water, its little will be elastic and its coat will be shiny (there will be no droughts). For more information on your cat's fur, we recommend you read the article "How many hairs on a cat? All about your cat's fur".
How long cat can survive without water?
In general, a cat can technically survive for one to two weeks without food if it continues to drink water anyway. However, without protein, a cat cannot go without food for more than three to four days, even if it is properly hydrated. Without food or water, it is unlikely that a cat will survive more than three days. All cats need regular food and a supply of fresh water to be happy and healthy.
What happens if a cat doesn't drink water?
When a cat doesn't drink enough water, it can become dehydrated. "Dehydration occurs when normal body fluids, including water and electrolytes, fall below the required level. This has a negative impact on his alertness, skin and body functions.
What can cause dehydration in your cat?
The different causes of dehydration in your cat are as follows:
- Your cat does not drink enough water;
- Your cat urinates more than it ingests water;
- In extreme situations, due to vomiting or blood loss.
- Kidney disease, heat stroke and diabetes ;
- Your cat's age;
- Thyroid problems.
A cat can become dehydrated by not drinking enough water or by urinating more than it ingests.
How can you tell when a cat is dehydrated?
When a cat does not consume enough water, it is at risk of dehydration. Dehydration manifests itself through several symptoms.
An easy way to identify dehydration in your cat is to check the condition of her skin (it becomes loose). To do so, place your cat on your lap and gently lift the skin at the back of his neck. When properly moisturized, the skin flap will fall back into place. However, if a fold remains or if it falls back slowly, your pet needs more fluid.
Other symptoms to watch for are lack of appetite, weakness, panting, drooling, high heart rate, weak pulse, dry or sticky gums, trembling, excessive or infrequent urination. It is important to contact your veterinarian immediately if your hairball shows these signs.
Can a cat go overnight without water?
Your pet can survive one night without water. However, it is best to provide your cat with a bowl or a water fountain.
Why doesn't my cat drink water?
To prevent your cat from becoming dehydrated and to know how to encourage your cat to drink more water, you need to find out why your cat is not drinking enough.
If your cat is healthy, start with basic checks. See if his water is free of food, hair, dust or other debris? Your kitty needs and wants clean water, so wash her bowl and replace the water at least once a day, if not more.
Note that some cats simply don't like the location of their water bowl. To find out if this is really the cause of your cat's dehydration, you can try several locations for its water bowl. Sometimes, moving water away from the food can do the trick.
Remember that your cat will not absorb a large amount of water each time. Unlike a dog who drinks happily, the way your cat drinks is clean. Rather than scooping up like a ladle, a cat's tongue barely touches the surface of the water before going back into its mouth. The quick-soak action creates a tiny column of water that it collects by closing its mouth before gravity can pull it back into the bowl.
How to encourage your cat to drink?
You have read in the previous sections about the effects of dehydration for your cat. It is important now to list a number of actions you can take to encourage your cat to drink:
- Gradually add wet food or fresh meat to your cat's diet ;
- Add a little water to your pet's wet food ;
- Keep their water bowl away from the litter box and food bowl ;
- Keep several bowls of water in the house in different places;
- Clean your cat's water bowls regularly;
- Use a shallow bowl of water to avoid stress;
- Shower water is strongly recommended, change it every day;
- Cats like moving water, so buy a water fountain.
Finally, monitor your cat's water consumption.
As you can see, your cat's hydration is of paramount importance. Indeed, a lack of water can lead to important health problems for your pet.
With all this information, you are now an expert on your cat's water needs because he cannot go more than three days without water.
That's why we suggest that you have a bowl of water permanently accessible for your kitty. We have cat fountains at your disposal.
Discover them now by clicking on the image below.